Combat Veteran Benefits from VA

When it comes to getting disability benefits from the VA, combat veterans have a leeway, making the process easier for them. Moreover, they can be entitled to special benefits.

The reason why these veterans get advantages over others is usually because of the lack of documentation during combat. Moreover, some records are not very well documented. 

If you are a combat veteran yourself and want to know the range of benefits you can be entitled to from the US Department of Veterans Affairs, this is the right place. We will discuss the basics and then go into the exact benefits.

VA’s Definition of Combat Veterans

Whenever we talk about combat veterans, many assume they are the ones who participated in firefights. However, the VA’s definition is much broader. According to the VA, combat veterans are those who fit into one of these factors –

  • Veterans who have received imminent danger pay or hostile fire pay during their time in service
  • Veterans who have earned a combat service medal
  • Veterans who have documents showing proof of their service in a combat theater

Many combat veterans have most likely served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) in Afghanistan and in places like Vietnam.

Special Benefits for Combat Veterans

Veterans with service-connected disabilities can get VA benefits that include monthly compensation, health care, and more. What about combat veterans?

As we mentioned before, combat veterans have special benefits compared to others. They are –

Easier Access to Benefits 

Eligible combat veterans can get easier access to nursing home care, cost-free healthcare services, and enrolling in Priority Group 6. 

To be eligible for these benefits, you have to be on active duty in combat operations after November 11, 1998. 

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

If you are a veteran who received military retirement pay and disability compensation from the VA, one of the payments will be reduced by the other. For example, if you get $500 in military retirement pay and $500 in VA compensation, you will be able to only redeem $500. This is called VA offset.

Combat veterans do not have to worry about the VA offset, and they are able to receive both benefits without one affecting another. This is known as CRSC.

According to the VA, you have to meet the following requirements to be eligible for CRSC

  • You are retired (eligible for or receiving military retirement pay)
  • Have a VA disability rating of at least 10%
  • Your DoD retirement benefits are currently reduced by the amount of your VA disability compensation

Moreover, one of these factors must be true –

  • You served in the military, National Guard, or Reserve for at least 20 years
  • You retired for medical reasons with at least a 30% disability rating (under Chapter 61)
  • The Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) protects you
  • You’ve been placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL)
  • You’ve been placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL)

Readjustment Counseling

Military veterans can also get the benefits of VA’s Vet Center readjustment counseling. This program offers counseling to veterans who suffer from mental disorders such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), among others.

To be eligible for readjustment counseling, you must meet one of these criteria

  • Active military service in any war theater or hostile environment
  • While on active military duty, provided mortuary services or direct immediate medical care to treat combat victims.
  • A part of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) crew that operated in a battle zone or hostile area
  • Prior to January 2, 2013, accessed care at a Vet Center as a Vietnam-Era Veteran Served on active military service in response to a national catastrophe or significant disaster 
  • You are a current Reserve Components member assigned to a military command in a drilling status, including active Reserves, who has a behavioral health problem or psychological trauma connected to military service that has a negative impact on your quality of life or transitions to civilian life.
  • Are a present or former Coast Guard personnel who took part in a drug interdiction operation
  • Suffered from military sexual trauma

How Can I Submit Evidence to the Department of Veterans Affairs Evidence Intake Center?

If you need to submit evidence to the Department of Veterans Affairs Evidence Intake Center, there are a few steps to follow. Start by gathering all relevant documents and ensure they are organized. Then, make copies of the evidence and submit them either by mail or electronically through the VA’s online portal. Remember to include a cover letter explaining the purpose of your evidence submission for veterans affairs.


To get combat veterans benefits, you must first prove to the VA that you fit the criteria. This can be tough for individuals who are unfamiliar with the complex world of disability claims. In such cases, getting help could be the only option, and experts at VA Disability Coach are the ones to contact.